It all began in 1956 when Betty's father Aleck built a fish shack by the Stewart River on Highway 61. Realizing that it might serve the fishermen well to have some goodies waiting during their pit stops, Betty started making donuts and coffee for them to enjoy.
Well, one thing led to another and Betty eventually began selling hamburgers and hot dogs. As her customer base grew, she noticed that the old fish stand clashed with her cuisine. In 1958 she turned the stand into a café: Betty's Café.
She soon added pies to her menu.
Eventually Betty expanded the café by adding a lunch counter and more seating. Of course, the pie selection expanded too. People were now beginning to make it a regular stop on their way to cabins and resorts along the North Shore. Even now, Betty’s Café remains a staple of the area… and beyond.